Breaking my heart that I’m missing Guillermo Klein this week. His Domador de Heuellas (Sunnyside) is one of the more intriguing records to come along of late, dotted with the composer’s idiosyncratic vocals, and bolstered by the rhythmic turns that have marked his work for a decade now. This time he’s investigating music of Argentine songwriter Cuchi Leguizamon. In Klein’s hands, pithy material gets plump with improvisation, and his core octet follows the boss’s arrangements in a way that unfurls all sorts of episodes. Klein’s an expert at having a clipped motif develop into something meatier, and “Zamba Para La Viuda” and “Coplas Del Regreso” seem like folk tunes that have found ways to employ a panoply of horns. A Blog Supreme is in awe of the grooves that Klein concocts, and The Checkout spoke with him about his bandleading life. The Wall Street Journal profiled his Vanguard run with his band Base de Nave. Ben Ratliff synopsized his current position. A few year’s ago Reid Anderson got into Klein’s head for Do The Math. The vids are of GK’s Los Guachos outfit.
- Exactly what's stopping you from hitting Cornelia St Cafe tonight or tomorrow? #bigmouth @lightcapbass bit.ly/1N0ldm0 2 days ago
- Down the street from our house. Red Hook is a #mixeduse zone. nypost.com/2015/02/24/che… 4 days ago
- Always a blast to hear Xgau expound. Fun interview last night at Powerhouse with @jodyrosen peppering the q's. Tonight at the Strand! 4 days ago
- You feel lucky every time you walk in, right? Lots of labor keeps it going. Here are some of the fruits. bit.ly/1EkuhOT 1 week ago
- Audubon Ballroom, West 165th, one half-century ago. #malcolmx50 ♫ Malcolm, Malcolm - Semper Malcolm – Archie Shepp spoti.fi/1FGVo8h 1 week ago
- First set ftd a shotgun blast through "I Thought About You" & a blues for his neighbor, "Smelly." 2nd set rt now. lamentforastraightline.wordpress.com/2015/02/17/uri… 1 week ago
- Dusk can be scary. Thinking of CT and others. ♫ Moonlight Fiesta – Thelonious Monk, Clark Terry Quartet spoti.fi/1FMoCQp 2 weeks ago
- Buster remains a blast. Especially this Valentine's stint @CafeCarlyle. #busterpoindexter lamentforastraightline.wordpress.com/2015/02/13/bus… 2 weeks ago
- RT @mollyelena: Beyoncé was robbed of a Grammy and America was robbed of the ineffably powerful image of her and Prince embracing. 3 weeks ago
- Uncle L shoulda told the world that George Wein likes and booked Mostly Other People Do The Killing. #GRAMMYs #jazz 3 weeks ago
- Happy 80th Anniversary Village Vanguard!
- Joe Lovano Nonet @ Village Vanguard Feb 17 – 22
- Uri Caine Residency @ The Stone 17 – 22
- Andrew Drury’s Content Provider @ Roulette 2/17
- Buster Is Back At the Cafe Carlyle!
- Vijay Iyer Trio Break Stuff (ECM)
- All Strung Up – Alternative Guitar Summit This Week
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra – Duke, Dizzy, Trane & Mingus: Jazz Titans 29-31
- Nashville Scene’s Country Music Critics Poll 2014
- Vijay Iyer @ The Stone, Tuesday – Sunday
In The Cloudsahmad jamal beach boys ben allison beyonce Bill Frisell bob dylan branford marsalis bruce springsteen country music dave douglas diana krall duke ellington ECM elvis costello ethan iverson flying lotus Henry Threadgill hip-hop jamie saft jason moran jay-z jazz jazz standard jd allen jeff tweedy jim hall Jim Macnie joe lovano joe morris john coltrane john hebert Joshua Redman kanye west Lady Gaga lists marc ribot mark cutler marty ehrlich mary halvorson matt wilson Miles Davis morning/night mostly other people do the killing music nels cline newport jazz festival npr nrbq ornette coleman orrin evans paul motian Peter Stampfel Prince randy newman Richard Thompson rolling stone sonny rollins soundcloud spotify steve coleman sun ra the bad plus thelonious monk tim berne tom waits tyshawn sorey VEVO video vijay iyer village vanguard village voice VMAs wilco wynton marsalis XTC