Hand-out for the first “The Unthinkable Mind” class taught by Lynda Barry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Links to video and audio mentioned in the hand-out
3) A very young Michael Gazzaniga talking about early split-brain research in the late 1950s. Note: The first part of the video (monkeys) might be disturbing to some people. The second part (humans) may be mind blowing to some people.
Question: Why are you coloring pictures in a class that is supposed to be about the brain?
Question: About how long does it take to completely cover an 8.5 x11 inch piece of paper with a solid coat of crayon wax?
Answer: About two hours —-or two episodes of American Horror Story
Question: Is there a trick to it?
Answer: Layering. And also knowing that the process can be frustrating at first but then, somehow, you get into it and something like a relationship with the image itself develops. But it’s frustrating. The paper tears or wrinkles, the wax won’t lay down. But this is exactly how you get to know the materials, by seeing how they act together and how they act with your hands, the one that colors and the one you barely notice that adjusts the paper in minute ways and holds it steady. What is that hand doing while the other one colors?
Don’t be frustrated by the frustrating parts. Keep figuring out the crayon and the paper, what they are, how they act. Look closely at the wax track the crayon is leaving on the paper. What’s making the wax come away? What colors do you seem to keep picking?
“Some sense of the action lies in the queer kind of sympathy that the artist is able to call up for the thing he is [coloring]. The true amount of mental sympathy that the student can give to a subject he wants to [color] creates a sense of life in the picture. From this sense of life, the picture begins to have value all its own…”
Jan Gordon, “A Step-Ladder to Painting”
Question: What kind of pictures are you coloring?
Answer: It almost doesn’t matter. In The Unthinkable Mind Class we’re using images from dollar-store coloring books, Sesame Street characters, Batman, Rappers, Hello Kitty, screaming teddy bears holding knives, The Creature, Astro Boy, My Little Pony, Gorillaz, very bad mermaid drawings, Pokemon, and many other images you’ll easily find if you search for ‘coloring pages’. Pick four pictures and print them out on different kinds of paper. Rougher paper is better but even copier paper will work. Buy a box of 24 crayons. Color those crayons down and peel the paper down in order to color some more. Cover the whole page and notice what happens as you color— move from satisfaction to frustration to satisfaction to confusion to worry to satisfaction again, but keep going until the page is fully covered. Put them up on the refrigerator and stare at them. What just happened?
- Countdown to @Newportfolkfest def want to see @AngelOlsen radiating in the sunshine. vevo.ly/H6RZX9 #NewportFolkFest 3 hours ago
- just threw @benallisonmusic 's "The Detective's Wife" on my noir playlist. Think Free hits @JazzStandardNYC thru 23. villagevoice.com/datebook/#fush… 4 hours ago
- countdown to @Newportfolkfest Alynda Lee and @HFTRR should rock it on Friday. vevo.ly/AL5NGp 1 day ago
- Upstate jazz fans! Delfeayo and Javon, and others. Save the date. twitter.com/McClairPR/stat… 1 day ago
- countdown to @Newportfolkfest @whitneytheband #TuesdayThoughts bit.ly/2vxOqjX 2 days ago
- the new william parker disc on @aumfidelity is strong, strong, strong, don't miss the band at @shapeshifterlab 2nite bit.ly/2tiM2vG 6 days ago
- https://t.co/MQWaHXDy4z 1 week ago
- It's @tyshawnsorey time. Choose your night. bit.ly/2tqbuCV #theStone 1 week ago
- Mr @davedouglas and the Riverside cats playing #CarlaBley at The New School Fri + Sat. New LP on @Greenleaf_Music bit.ly/2tm5Thz 3 weeks ago
- Loved the way Frank Lowe said Geri's name. #GeriAllen 3 weeks ago
- Ben Allison & Think Free @ Jazz Standard 20-23
- William Parker Meditation / Resurrection (AUM Fidelity)
- Matt Wilson’s Honey and Salt (Palmetto)
- Tyshawn Sorey Residency at The Stone
- Dave Douglas & Riverside – Friday + Saturday
- Ya Gotta Break the Shells
- Ladies and Gentlemen, 20 Years Ago Today…
- Tomasz Stanko’s New York Quartet December Avenue (ECM)
- Arto Lindsay Cuidado Madame (Northern Spy)
- We Resist – Harriet Tubman & James Brandon Lewis
In The Cloudsahmad jamal beach boys ben allison beyonce Bill Frisell bob dylan branford marsalis bruce springsteen cecil taylor country music dave douglas diana krall duke ellington ECM elvis costello flying lotus Henry Threadgill hip-hop jamie saft jason moran jay-z jazz jazz standard jd allen jeff tweedy jim hall Jim Macnie joe lovano joe morris john coltrane john hebert Joshua Redman kanye west Lady Gaga lists marc ribot mark cutler marty ehrlich mary halvorson matt wilson Miles Davis morning/night mostly other people do the killing music nels cline newport jazz festival npr nrbq ornette coleman orrin evans paul motian Peter Stampfel Prince randy newman Richard Thompson rolling stone sonny rollins soundcloud spotify steve coleman sun ra the bad plus thelonious monk tim berne tom waits tyshawn sorey VEVO video vijay iyer village vanguard village voice VMAs wilco wynton marsalis XTC