- so sharp, and they rt in yr face at Barbes. Tonight! twitter.com/mattopavo/stat… 2 days ago
- all roads lead to Gowanus. twitter.com/TheJazzGallery… 2 days ago
- they were very strong, and wildly fluid, last night twitter.com/fullyaltered/s… 5 days ago
- Love Jump Up (WTDA) and don't forget that Moers album. S is mixed low compared to DM's wail, but the feels he's pus… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 days ago
- #realdeal twitter.com/VinnieSperrazz… 5 days ago
- see you three tonight. twitter.com/krisdavismusic… 6 days ago
- wrote the notes for Crump/Davis/McPherson's Intakt debut, and it was a labor of love. you fall deeper and deeper in… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- RT @GioRussonello: This year was an important and exciting one for jazz. Here's a look at some of the (female) artists who made it so. http… 1 week ago
- RT @TELLOL: @iRhysTay @EllenMorris1222 @teakinrj @SenFeinstein @GOP Contact or look up every big box retailer that backs this plan. We have… 1 week ago
- RT @drydockny: Save up to 30%! Our Annual Customer Appreciation Day (SALE!) is This Sat Dec 2nd conta.cc/2zRLdlS https://t.co/wT5rG… 2 weeks ago
- Human Metronome
- Bill Charlap Trio Uptown, Downtown (Impulse!)
- This Shit Can’t Last Forever #RESIST
- The Mavericks at Rhythm & Roots Fest This Weekend
- Charlie Parker Jazz Fest – 2017
- Long Live The Village Voice
- Ladies and Gentlemen, 15 Years Ago Today…
- Sure Do Miss Him: Butch Morris Avec Baton And Words
- In Case They Close Down SoundCloud Tomorrow. Here’s An Old Radio Show
- Bill Frisell Solo – The Stone Residency
In The Cloudsahmad jamal beach boys ben allison beyonce Bill Frisell bob dylan branford marsalis bruce springsteen cecil taylor country music dave douglas diana krall duke ellington ECM elvis costello flying lotus Henry Threadgill hip-hop jamie saft jason moran jay-z jazz jazz standard jd allen jeff tweedy jim hall Jim Macnie joe lovano joe morris john coltrane john hebert Joshua Redman kanye west Lady Gaga lists marc ribot mark cutler marty ehrlich mary halvorson matt wilson Miles Davis morning/night mostly other people do the killing music nels cline newport jazz festival npr nrbq ornette coleman orrin evans paul motian Peter Stampfel Prince randy newman Richard Thompson rolling stone sonny rollins soundcloud spotify steve coleman sun ra the bad plus thelonious monk tim berne tom waits tyshawn sorey VEVO video vijay iyer village vanguard village voice VMAs wilco wynton marsalis XTC
Tag Archives: village voice
They’re both masters.
Great to hear Don’s singing voice again.
Totally agree. “The time to be arrrrrounndd/going down, babbbby.” He’s got one of the great rock voices. Watching him is fun, too. Can’t believe the sound is coming out of his mouth. Anytime you have an unconventional voice, that’s great. So many people try to sing well, they try to have a beautiful tone. What about just singing? Don just sings.
He’s the most accomplished artist I’ve ever been with. He’s been making art for so long that he’s really removed all barriers between his spirit and reality. It’s not like, “Okay, now he’s going to come up with something.” It already CAME up. it’s already there!
My personal Amy fixation had kicked off two years earlier with Frank, originally an import-only debut (released domestically this past fall) with a smiling, curvy, weave-less Amy on the cover. Much like Back to Black sans the throwback sonics, the record articulated a wise-beyond-her-years wisdom with smoky jazz phrasings and hip-hop/r&b shadings. (Think Lauryn Hill without the preachiness.) My love only increased withGhostface Killah‘s 2006 remix of her salty “You Know I’m No Good.” But of course it was Back to Black—a chart-topper in the U.K. and very nearly a poll-topper here—that sealed the deal for everyone with its odes to getting fucked over and up.
Now Amy’s a star: six Grammy nods, multi-platinum status for Black, and Pazz & Jop accolades at both album and especially single, where “Rehab”—bolstered by votes from last year (the record hit the U.K. in October ‘06)—pushed her ahead of the seemingly unstoppable Rihanna. Yet these days Amy’s looking less like a soul savior and more like a lost soul, tsked-tsked by the View ladies, mocked on late-night talk shows, and lumped in with Britney Spears, another troubled (if lower-on-the-totem-pole) pop star whose music has been eclipsed by the train wreck.
You could see it coming. Even when…
Everyone talking Dylan’s 70th. But Joey woulda been 60 on this Thursday. The Voice made a nifty little list of tunes that celebrate the band and our boy. But they forgot this jewel, my fave of all the Ramones valentines.
Go ahead and spin all the songs that Amy & Joey danced to that night, and sure, why not blast “Sheena” one more time?
The Temptations, “Papa Was a Rolling Stone”
The Brooklyn Bridge, “The Worst That Could Happen”
Blondie, “Hanging On the Telephone”
The Searchers, “Needles and Pins”
The Chiffons, “He So Fine”
The Crystals, “It Felt Like a Kiss”
The Ronettes, “Be My Baby”
Shadows of Knight, “Gloria”
Jimmy James & the Vagabonds, “I Feel Alright”
The Dave Clark 5, “Glad All Over”
The Coasters, “Charlie Brown”
The Dovells, “Can’t Sit Down”