- RT @aloudonline: Man, I poached the *fuck* out of those eggs. -H #breakfastfordinner 1 day ago
- RT @jelani9: All 5 living Presidents should release a joint statement about the country’s unequivocal opposition to Nazism. Immediately #ch… 3 days ago
- RT @davidmaraniss: The living former presidents - Bushes, Carter, Clinton & Obama- should make a joint statement calling on the racist Tru… 3 days ago
- RT @pookleblinky: If you can't physically topple a confederate-on-a-horse statue, epoxy a dildo onto its forehead to turn it into a hate un… 3 days ago
- happy birthday, terry adams. bit.ly/2i0NGBY #nrbq 4 days ago
- Painted Ruins on its way. #GrizzlyBear vevo.com/watch/grizzly-… 4 days ago
- in case soundcloud collapses tomorrow. me and #FrankZappa talk set lists. soundcloud.com/jim-macnie/zap… 1 week ago
- you've heard @BillFrisell 's radiant "Embraceable You," right? He's rollin' solo at The Stone this week. bit.ly/2wtdBW7 1 week ago
- A 1 week ago
- RT @Glenn__Kenny: Also I'd bet good money that the gentleman who wrote that piece for the Atlantic hasn't heard more than five random minut… 1 week ago
- Sure Do Miss Him: Butch Morris Avec Baton And Words
- In Case They Close Down SoundCloud Tomorrow. Here’s An Old Radio Show
- Bill Frisell Solo – The Stone Residency
- Newport Jazz 2017 – Tim Berne’s Snakeoil
- Newport Jazz Fest 2017 – Vijay Iyer Sextet
- Newport Jazz Fest 2017 – Jimmy Greene
- Newport Jazz Fest 2017 – Maria Schneider
- Newport Jazz Fest 2017 – Uri Caine
- Newport Jazz Fest 2017 – Marilyn Crispell
- Newport Jazz Fest 2017 – One For All
In The Cloudsahmad jamal beach boys ben allison beyonce Bill Frisell bob dylan branford marsalis bruce springsteen cecil taylor country music dave douglas diana krall duke ellington ECM elvis costello flying lotus Henry Threadgill hip-hop jamie saft jason moran jay-z jazz jazz standard jd allen jeff tweedy jim hall Jim Macnie joe lovano joe morris john coltrane john hebert Joshua Redman kanye west Lady Gaga lists marc ribot mark cutler marty ehrlich mary halvorson matt wilson Miles Davis morning/night mostly other people do the killing music nels cline newport jazz festival npr nrbq ornette coleman orrin evans paul motian Peter Stampfel Prince randy newman Richard Thompson rolling stone sonny rollins soundcloud spotify steve coleman sun ra the bad plus thelonious monk tim berne tom waits tyshawn sorey VEVO video vijay iyer village vanguard village voice VMAs wilco wynton marsalis XTC
Tag Archives: village voice
They’re both masters.
Great to hear Don’s singing voice again.
Totally agree. “The time to be arrrrrounndd/going down, babbbby.” He’s got one of the great rock voices. Watching him is fun, too. Can’t believe the sound is coming out of his mouth. Anytime you have an unconventional voice, that’s great. So many people try to sing well, they try to have a beautiful tone. What about just singing? Don just sings.
He’s the most accomplished artist I’ve ever been with. He’s been making art for so long that he’s really removed all barriers between his spirit and reality. It’s not like, “Okay, now he’s going to come up with something.” It already CAME up. it’s already there!
My personal Amy fixation had kicked off two years earlier with Frank, originally an import-only debut (released domestically this past fall) with a smiling, curvy, weave-less Amy on the cover. Much like Back to Black sans the throwback sonics, the record articulated a wise-beyond-her-years wisdom with smoky jazz phrasings and hip-hop/r&b shadings. (Think Lauryn Hill without the preachiness.) My love only increased withGhostface Killah‘s 2006 remix of her salty “You Know I’m No Good.” But of course it was Back to Black—a chart-topper in the U.K. and very nearly a poll-topper here—that sealed the deal for everyone with its odes to getting fucked over and up.
Now Amy’s a star: six Grammy nods, multi-platinum status for Black, and Pazz & Jop accolades at both album and especially single, where “Rehab”—bolstered by votes from last year (the record hit the U.K. in October ‘06)—pushed her ahead of the seemingly unstoppable Rihanna. Yet these days Amy’s looking less like a soul savior and more like a lost soul, tsked-tsked by the View ladies, mocked on late-night talk shows, and lumped in with Britney Spears, another troubled (if lower-on-the-totem-pole) pop star whose music has been eclipsed by the train wreck.
You could see it coming. Even when…
Everyone talking Dylan’s 70th. But Joey woulda been 60 on this Thursday. The Voice made a nifty little list of tunes that celebrate the band and our boy. But they forgot this jewel, my fave of all the Ramones valentines.
Go ahead and spin all the songs that Amy & Joey danced to that night, and sure, why not blast “Sheena” one more time?
The Temptations, “Papa Was a Rolling Stone”
The Brooklyn Bridge, “The Worst That Could Happen”
Blondie, “Hanging On the Telephone”
The Searchers, “Needles and Pins”
The Chiffons, “He So Fine”
The Crystals, “It Felt Like a Kiss”
The Ronettes, “Be My Baby”
Shadows of Knight, “Gloria”
Jimmy James & the Vagabonds, “I Feel Alright”
The Dave Clark 5, “Glad All Over”
The Coasters, “Charlie Brown”
The Dovells, “Can’t Sit Down”