- we all know @richardgehr would never steer you wrong. Arto 2nite in Gowanus. villagevoice.com/event/arto-lin… @northernspyrec #cuidadomadame 1 day ago
- 2/2 @artolindsay 's new album 'Cuidado Madame' on @northernspyrecs has been on repeat all week. NYC gig at Bell House Friday. 2 days ago
- 1/2 Proper Bostonians are heading to Somerville's ONCE Ballroom to absorb all the @artolindsay possible tonight. @northernspyrecs #brillant 2 days ago
- 20th time i've watched this @whereisMUNA joint the band made for us. simmer, simmer, simmer, boil. strong stuff. vevo.ly/VDJQ5g 3 days ago
- 2/2 - As you know, Team @Tromboneshorty def kicks #ass. New Blue Note album 'Parking Lot Symphony' drops Friday. Glass House forever, y'all. 4 days ago
- 1/2 - Fun to chat with @Tromboneshorty today. First @Vevo interview to mention Marie Laveau and Ernie K-Do in one swoop. 4 days ago
- RT @natechinen: Wayne Shorter Quartet, too good for this world. This entire show was genius, and the last 10 minutes were sonically more in… 5 days ago
- it's all about the new Arto album. ponderosa.it/label/36/cuida… 1 week ago
- three sets of goosepimples so far with this KCR Mingus bday blast. bit.ly/2q1AKeg #mingus 1 week ago
- Hank with the bounty! twitter.com/DarkForcesSwin… 2 weeks ago
- Brooklyn Folk Festival This Weekend
- Kevin Eubanks East West Time Line (Mack Ave)
- Kneebody Anti-Hero (Motema)
- And Then Yo La Tengo Turned Itself Inside Out – Town Hall
- Craig Taborn Daylight Ghosts (ECM)
- One Half of One Century Ago
- Jeremy Pelt Make Noise! (High Note)
- John Abercrombie Quartet Up and Coming (ECM)
- Sunday Spinning
- Michael Dease All These Hands (PosiTone)
In The Cloudsahmad jamal beach boys ben allison beyonce Bill Frisell bob dylan branford marsalis bruce springsteen cecil taylor country music dave douglas diana krall duke ellington ECM elvis costello flying lotus Henry Threadgill hip-hop jamie saft jason moran jay-z jazz jazz standard jd allen jeff tweedy jim hall Jim Macnie joe lovano joe morris john coltrane john hebert Joshua Redman kanye west Lady Gaga lists marc ribot mark cutler marty ehrlich mary halvorson matt wilson Miles Davis morning/night mostly other people do the killing music nels cline newport jazz festival npr nrbq ornette coleman orrin evans paul motian Peter Stampfel Prince randy newman Richard Thompson rolling stone sonny rollins soundcloud spotify steve coleman sun ra the bad plus thelonious monk tim berne tom waits tyshawn sorey VEVO video vijay iyer village vanguard village voice VMAs wilco wynton marsalis XTC
Tag Archives: village voice
They’re both masters.
Great to hear Don’s singing voice again.
Totally agree. “The time to be arrrrrounndd/going down, babbbby.” He’s got one of the great rock voices. Watching him is fun, too. Can’t believe the sound is coming out of his mouth. Anytime you have an unconventional voice, that’s great. So many people try to sing well, they try to have a beautiful tone. What about just singing? Don just sings.
He’s the most accomplished artist I’ve ever been with. He’s been making art for so long that he’s really removed all barriers between his spirit and reality. It’s not like, “Okay, now he’s going to come up with something.” It already CAME up. it’s already there!
My personal Amy fixation had kicked off two years earlier with Frank, originally an import-only debut (released domestically this past fall) with a smiling, curvy, weave-less Amy on the cover. Much like Back to Black sans the throwback sonics, the record articulated a wise-beyond-her-years wisdom with smoky jazz phrasings and hip-hop/r&b shadings. (Think Lauryn Hill without the preachiness.) My love only increased withGhostface Killah‘s 2006 remix of her salty “You Know I’m No Good.” But of course it was Back to Black—a chart-topper in the U.K. and very nearly a poll-topper here—that sealed the deal for everyone with its odes to getting fucked over and up.
Now Amy’s a star: six Grammy nods, multi-platinum status for Black, and Pazz & Jop accolades at both album and especially single, where “Rehab”—bolstered by votes from last year (the record hit the U.K. in October ‘06)—pushed her ahead of the seemingly unstoppable Rihanna. Yet these days Amy’s looking less like a soul savior and more like a lost soul, tsked-tsked by the View ladies, mocked on late-night talk shows, and lumped in with Britney Spears, another troubled (if lower-on-the-totem-pole) pop star whose music has been eclipsed by the train wreck.
You could see it coming. Even when…
Everyone talking Dylan’s 70th. But Joey woulda been 60 on this Thursday. The Voice made a nifty little list of tunes that celebrate the band and our boy. But they forgot this jewel, my fave of all the Ramones valentines.
Go ahead and spin all the songs that Amy & Joey danced to that night, and sure, why not blast “Sheena” one more time?
The Temptations, “Papa Was a Rolling Stone”
The Brooklyn Bridge, “The Worst That Could Happen”
Blondie, “Hanging On the Telephone”
The Searchers, “Needles and Pins”
The Chiffons, “He So Fine”
The Crystals, “It Felt Like a Kiss”
The Ronettes, “Be My Baby”
Shadows of Knight, “Gloria”
Jimmy James & the Vagabonds, “I Feel Alright”
The Dave Clark 5, “Glad All Over”
The Coasters, “Charlie Brown”
The Dovells, “Can’t Sit Down”