- RT @jazznight: Bob Gullotti, an endlessly creative jazz drummer hailed as a guru by several generations of musicians, died on Saturday in B… 4 hours ago
- need a mental excursion? @mabnotes trio with Jerome Harris and Billy Mintz at @sounditoutnyc series tonight. Greenw… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- it's @geraldcleaver time tonight at @SmallsJazzClub - 7:30 pm. watch Violet Hour kick royal arse.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @tomhull747: Francis Davis started his annual poll of jazz critics in 2006 at the Village Voice, and has kept it going: the 14th annual… 2 weeks ago
- RT @screwgub: Tonite https://t.co/pXMBMNN7Lc 2 weeks ago
- RT @natechinen: Starting my #nycwjf Saturday marathon with the Steve Lehman Trio + Craig Taborn. If this don’t set a high bar for the night… 2 weeks ago
- Jarrett's "Answer Me, My Love" 2 weeks ago
- Chattahoochee Red time right now for Max's KCR blast bit.ly/2sW9AwB 2 weeks ago
- Caught Amina at BRIC a couple months ago and just hearing her touch on the keys was exciting. And of course, Andrew… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 weeks ago
- RT @Freeyourmindkid: There's like 300 million of us, why can't we just walk up to the White house and just like drag Trump out of it? 3 weeks ago
- Misha & Han Mid-70s Cave Music
- Country Music Critics’ Poll Results
- Snock in Town – Crystal Beams of Yore Sighted
- Almost Forgot: Michael Leonhart Orchestra Rockin GZA and ODB
- Dave Douglas ENGAGE (Greenleaf)
- A Lovely Story
- If Your Partner Don’t Act Fair, Don’t Worry, There’s Some More Over There!
- 20 (Or So) Favorite Jazz Albums of 2019
- Henry Threadgill’s Zooid at The Jazz Gallery This Weekend
- Football & Pinball – The Clash Makes London Calling
In The Cloudsahmad jamal beach boys ben allison beyonce Bill Frisell bob dylan branford marsalis bruce springsteen cecil taylor country music dave douglas diana krall duke ellington ECM elvis costello flying lotus Henry Threadgill hip-hop jamie saft jason moran jay-z jazz jazz standard jd allen jeff tweedy jim hall Jim Macnie joe lovano joe morris john coltrane john hebert Joshua Redman kanye west Lady Gaga lists marc ribot mark cutler marty ehrlich mary halvorson matt wilson Miles Davis morning/night mostly other people do the killing music nels cline newport jazz festival npr nrbq ornette coleman orrin evans paul motian Peter Stampfel Prince randy newman Richard Thompson rolling stone sonny rollins soundcloud spotify steve coleman sun ra the bad plus thelonious monk tim berne tom waits tyshawn sorey VEVO video vijay iyer village vanguard village voice VMAs wilco wynton marsalis XTC
Tag Archives: village voice
They’re both masters.
Great to hear Don’s singing voice again.
Totally agree. “The time to be arrrrrounndd/going down, babbbby.” He’s got one of the great rock voices. Watching him is fun, too. Can’t believe the sound is coming out of his mouth. Anytime you have an unconventional voice, that’s great. So many people try to sing well, they try to have a beautiful tone. What about just singing? Don just sings.
He’s the most accomplished artist I’ve ever been with. He’s been making art for so long that he’s really removed all barriers between his spirit and reality. It’s not like, “Okay, now he’s going to come up with something.” It already CAME up. it’s already there!
My personal Amy fixation had kicked off two years earlier with Frank, originally an import-only debut (released domestically this past fall) with a smiling, curvy, weave-less Amy on the cover. Much like Back to Black sans the throwback sonics, the record articulated a wise-beyond-her-years wisdom with smoky jazz phrasings and hip-hop/r&b shadings. (Think Lauryn Hill without the preachiness.) My love only increased withGhostface Killah‘s 2006 remix of her salty “You Know I’m No Good.” But of course it was Back to Black—a chart-topper in the U.K. and very nearly a poll-topper here—that sealed the deal for everyone with its odes to getting fucked over and up.
Now Amy’s a star: six Grammy nods, multi-platinum status for Black, and Pazz & Jop accolades at both album and especially single, where “Rehab”—bolstered by votes from last year (the record hit the U.K. in October ‘06)—pushed her ahead of the seemingly unstoppable Rihanna. Yet these days Amy’s looking less like a soul savior and more like a lost soul, tsked-tsked by the View ladies, mocked on late-night talk shows, and lumped in with Britney Spears, another troubled (if lower-on-the-totem-pole) pop star whose music has been eclipsed by the train wreck.
You could see it coming. Even when…
Everyone talking Dylan’s 70th. But Joey woulda been 60 on this Thursday. The Voice made a nifty little list of tunes that celebrate the band and our boy. But they forgot this jewel, my fave of all the Ramones valentines.
Go ahead and spin all the songs that Amy & Joey danced to that night, and sure, why not blast “Sheena” one more time?
The Temptations, “Papa Was a Rolling Stone”
The Brooklyn Bridge, “The Worst That Could Happen”
Blondie, “Hanging On the Telephone”
The Searchers, “Needles and Pins”
The Chiffons, “He So Fine”
The Crystals, “It Felt Like a Kiss”
The Ronettes, “Be My Baby”
Shadows of Knight, “Gloria”
Jimmy James & the Vagabonds, “I Feel Alright”
The Dave Clark 5, “Glad All Over”
The Coasters, “Charlie Brown”
The Dovells, “Can’t Sit Down”