- RT @vulture: Best Score goes to Benj Pasek and Justin Paul for Dear Evan Hansen. #TonyAwards2017 1 week ago
- Vijay live stream. 1 week ago
- ojaifestival.org/2017-festival-… 1 week ago
- you better look out, Robin. youtube.com/watch?v=pnE8rr… #ratotherescue 1 week ago
- always wanted to see @JaneIraBloomSax outside. today's the day. @Redhookjazzfest facebook.com/RedHookJazzFes… 1 week ago
- DK's dead on it. support the @QuadCinema and get yourself some Sam. twitter.com/thekingbulleti… 2 weeks ago
- the cocktail piano on the Dylan Nobel clip is better than the fake beard at Newport '02. #songanddanceman #thegorybusinessofcuttingupawhale 2 weeks ago
- RT @Passionweiss: Every time the Warriors win, a building filled with affordable housing becomes a mixed-use luxury condo with a Peet's Cof… 2 weeks ago
- Joe McPhee, Dave Burrell AND BassDrumBone 2night at #Vision22 ? Sounds right. and get the trio's newest disc, too. bit.ly/2qAeBTX 2 weeks ago
- watching Team Wynton do Monk while heading to see Farmers By Nature. Strong options game, New York. livestream.com/jazz/jlco-worl… #Vision22 3 weeks ago
- Ladies and Gentlemen, 20 Years Ago Today…
- Tomasz Stanko’s New York Quartet December Avenue (ECM)
- Arto Lindsay Cuidado Madame (Northern Spy)
- We Resist – Harriet Tubman & James Brandon Lewis
- Vision Festival May 29 – June 3
- Steve Coleman and Five Elements Village Vanguard May 16-21
- Exit Music (For A Pianist)
- George Garzone at Cornelia Street Cafe
- John Scofield Retrospective at Lincoln Center
- The Jazz Passengers Still Life With Trouble
In The Cloudsahmad jamal beach boys ben allison beyonce Bill Frisell bob dylan branford marsalis bruce springsteen cecil taylor country music dave douglas diana krall duke ellington ECM elvis costello flying lotus Henry Threadgill hip-hop jamie saft jason moran jay-z jazz jazz standard jd allen jeff tweedy jim hall Jim Macnie joe lovano joe morris john coltrane john hebert Joshua Redman kanye west Lady Gaga lists marc ribot mark cutler marty ehrlich mary halvorson matt wilson Miles Davis morning/night mostly other people do the killing music nels cline newport jazz festival npr nrbq ornette coleman orrin evans paul motian Peter Stampfel Prince randy newman Richard Thompson rolling stone sonny rollins soundcloud spotify steve coleman sun ra the bad plus thelonious monk tim berne tom waits tyshawn sorey VEVO video vijay iyer village vanguard village voice VMAs wilco wynton marsalis XTC
Tag Archives: village voice
They’re both masters.
Great to hear Don’s singing voice again.
Totally agree. “The time to be arrrrrounndd/going down, babbbby.” He’s got one of the great rock voices. Watching him is fun, too. Can’t believe the sound is coming out of his mouth. Anytime you have an unconventional voice, that’s great. So many people try to sing well, they try to have a beautiful tone. What about just singing? Don just sings.
He’s the most accomplished artist I’ve ever been with. He’s been making art for so long that he’s really removed all barriers between his spirit and reality. It’s not like, “Okay, now he’s going to come up with something.” It already CAME up. it’s already there!
My personal Amy fixation had kicked off two years earlier with Frank, originally an import-only debut (released domestically this past fall) with a smiling, curvy, weave-less Amy on the cover. Much like Back to Black sans the throwback sonics, the record articulated a wise-beyond-her-years wisdom with smoky jazz phrasings and hip-hop/r&b shadings. (Think Lauryn Hill without the preachiness.) My love only increased withGhostface Killah‘s 2006 remix of her salty “You Know I’m No Good.” But of course it was Back to Black—a chart-topper in the U.K. and very nearly a poll-topper here—that sealed the deal for everyone with its odes to getting fucked over and up.
Now Amy’s a star: six Grammy nods, multi-platinum status for Black, and Pazz & Jop accolades at both album and especially single, where “Rehab”—bolstered by votes from last year (the record hit the U.K. in October ‘06)—pushed her ahead of the seemingly unstoppable Rihanna. Yet these days Amy’s looking less like a soul savior and more like a lost soul, tsked-tsked by the View ladies, mocked on late-night talk shows, and lumped in with Britney Spears, another troubled (if lower-on-the-totem-pole) pop star whose music has been eclipsed by the train wreck.
You could see it coming. Even when…
Everyone talking Dylan’s 70th. But Joey woulda been 60 on this Thursday. The Voice made a nifty little list of tunes that celebrate the band and our boy. But they forgot this jewel, my fave of all the Ramones valentines.
Go ahead and spin all the songs that Amy & Joey danced to that night, and sure, why not blast “Sheena” one more time?
The Temptations, “Papa Was a Rolling Stone”
The Brooklyn Bridge, “The Worst That Could Happen”
Blondie, “Hanging On the Telephone”
The Searchers, “Needles and Pins”
The Chiffons, “He So Fine”
The Crystals, “It Felt Like a Kiss”
The Ronettes, “Be My Baby”
Shadows of Knight, “Gloria”
Jimmy James & the Vagabonds, “I Feel Alright”
The Dave Clark 5, “Glad All Over”
The Coasters, “Charlie Brown”
The Dovells, “Can’t Sit Down”